Check out the Fort Worth Nature Center Podcast! The podcast is another way the Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center keep you informed about what’s new and what’s happening at the nature center.
Learn more about the Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center by reading our 2016-2017 Annual Report.
$200,000 GRANT TO ENHANCE TRAILS AT THE FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER & REFUGE
FORT WORTH, Texas (October 11,2018) – Thanks to a fundraising effort led by the Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department has awarded a $200,000 Recreational Trails Grant, which will enhance trail facilities.
FRIENDS OF THE FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER & REFUGE HIRE FIRST FULL-TIME EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
FORT WORTH, Texas (January 29, 2018) – After more than four decades preserving and protecting one of Fort Worth’s most beautiful natural resources, the Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge announce the hiring of Haily Summerford as its first full-time executive director.
MAYOR TO PRESIDE OVER NATURE CENTER TRAIL GRAND RE-OPENING
Public-private project brings together City of Fort Worth, Tarrant Regional Water District, Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge and Friends to improve historic Cross Timbers Trail
FORT WORTH, Texas (October 6, 2017) – The Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge will welcome Fort Worth Mayor Betsy Price and other dignitaries on Oct. 13 at 9:30 a.m. to the Grand Re-Opening of the Cross Timbers Trail, which has been closed since 2015.
NATURE CENTER CELEBRATES 25TH BUFFALO BOOGIE ANNIVERSARY
Event includes 5K, 10K, and 1-mile races, family-friendly activities, door prizes and commemorative quilt auction
FORT WORTH, Texas (May 5, 2017) – The Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge invite both humans and dogs to the 25th annual Buffalo Boogie onMay 13 at 8 a.m. Proceeds from the event—featuring 10K, 5K and one-mile fun runs; live music and family-friendly activities—benefit the Nature Center.
COUNCILMAN SHINGLETON PRESIDES OVER DEDICATION OF NEW BOARDWALK
Visitors to the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge can now enjoy more of the center’s natural beauty following completion of the new Lotus Marsh Boardwalk.
FORT WORTH, Texas (March 17, 2017) The Nature Center boardwalk officially opened to the public at 11 a.m. Friday, March 10. Fort Worth Councilman Dennis Shingleton cut the vine (rather than a ribbon) to dedicate the new boardwalk.
April 7, 2015: PARENTS AND PUPS STAMPEDE NATURE CENTER AT 23RD BUFFALO BOOGIE
Event includes foot race, family-friendly activities and raffle
Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge invites dogs and humans to the 23rd annual Buffalo Boogie on May 9 at 8:30 a.m. Proceeds from the 5K and one-mile fun run, which features live music and family-friendly activities, benefit the Nature Center.
October 30, 2014: ART SHOW TO BENEFIT FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER & REFUGE
Exhibition and sale features 44 local artists and their works reflecting the Texas natural environment
The Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge will host a benefit art exhibition and sale titled “Broadview: A Spectrum of Nature” beginning Nov. 7 and running through Nov. 23 at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center at 1300 Gendy St.
April 15, 2014: FORT WORTH NATURE CENTER & REFUGE CELEBRATES 50 WILD YEARS
Community and state leaders mark golden anniversary of landmark urban nature center
The Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge, recognized as one of the most outstanding urban nature centers in the nation, throughout 2014 will celebrate 50 years of enhancing quality of life by providing sanctuary for wildlife and wildlife enthusiasts alike.
[Press Kit: Fact Sheet for Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center; Fact Sheet for Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge; photos upon request.]
50th ANNIVERSARY PUBLICATION: This book was created as a milestone piece, capturing the history and highlights of the Nature Center’s first 50 years. Download here: FWNC&R 50th
BLUESTEM NEWS (DOWNLOADABLE) is a quarterly newsletter produced by the Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge. For questions or comments, please contact Bluestem News Editor Sharon McKone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subscribe to the Bluestem News!
- Bluestem News Fourth Quarter 2018: In this issue, learn more about the benefit of being a Friend! Join and participate in some very special events planned just for Friends members. In addition, learn more about the work of summer interns, what it takes to be a nature mentor, and listen to our podcast for information about our special Camp, Paddle and Cast program for Forth Worth children.
- Bluestem News March/April 2018: We have streamlined Bluestem News ! In an effort to combat scrolling fatigue, we are simplifying the number of articles we feature in the newsletter each issue. In fact, in order to better serve our members, we will be sending out a short survey in the next few weeks to obtain your input on what you would like to see with your membership, from activities at the Nature Center to member events to publications. Be on the lookout for the survey in your inbox. In the meantime, we would love to hear your feedback on this streamlined issue of Bluestem News!
- Bluestem News January/February 2018: A new year… brings new leadership to the Friends of the Fort Worth Nature Center. At the end of 2017, we had to bid farewell to Laura Wood, our executive director since 2009. As sad as we are to say goodbye, we are excited to welcome Haily Summerford as our new full-time executive director. Please join us in wishing Haily success as she takes the reins of leadership of the Friends. Read more in this issue!
- Bluestem News November/December 2017: This issue is all about… hiking. And what better place to enjoy a scenic hike than the beautiful Nature Center? Even better? This gem of a park is located nearly in your backyard. From guided hikes to the reopening of the Crosstimbers Trail, read on to learn how to experience a relaxing and informative day exploring the trails at the Nature Center.
- Bluestem News September/October 2017: As fall approaches…school begins, leaves change, and children start anticipating Halloween! In this issue of the Bluestem news, learn more about some exciting fall activities at the Nature Center and plan to attend some upcoming events!
- Bluestem News July/August 2017: Summer is a busy time at the Nature Center. Find out the results of our spring events, join in some fun summer activities, and plan to attend some upcoming events!
- Bluestem News May/June 2017: Learn about summer events, new faces at the Nature Center and more.
- Bluestem News March/April 2017: Crosstimbers is now a part the Friends, and the Buffalo Boogie is planned for May 13. Read about this and other important news in this issue.
- Bluestem News January/February 2017: We’re ready to kick off a great 2017. In this issue read about some upcoming events and why the Nature Center is so great to so many!
- Bluestem News Fall 2016: Learn about upcoming events like Trails and Treats, North Texas Giving Day, new winter hours and more.
- Bluestem News Summer 2016: We mark the end of an era. Suzanne Tuttle retires as Nature Center Manager, and Natural Resources Manager Rob Denkhaus is named as successor.
- Bluestem News Spring 2016: Get an update on our Boardwalk renovation, a summary of the Warren M. Pulich Memorial Whooping Crane Trip, CCC news and more.
- Bluestem News Winter 2016: Our board world-class mycologist educates us on mushrooms found at the Nature Center, the new Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Paddling Trail is launched, and so much more.
- Bluestem News Fall 2015: New board members, annual meeting, acknowledging longtime member Murray James . . . it’s all here. Plus, learn more about a new Texas Parks & Wildlife Department Paddling Trail opening soon.
- Bluestem News Summer 2015: We recap highlights from last quarter, including new board members, our upcoming annual meeting, Buffalo Boogie and more.
- Bluestem News Spring 2015: This issue looks forward to the many exciting developments ahead for the Fort Worth Nature Center & Refuge in 2015 – everything from the 23rd annual Buffalo Boogie to welcoming new staff and exploring the future of Broadview Park.
- Bluestem News 2014 Winter Issue: This issue recaps many successful 2014 winter events, such as the Broadview: A Spectrum of Nature Art Show, while also providing a preview of upcoming spring 2015 happenings to mark on your calendar.
- Bluestem News 2014 Fall Issue: This issue provides an update on summer events, including the Friends’ annual meeting, plus looks forward to a season full of family-friendly fall events and celebrations.
- Bluestem News 2014 Summer Issue: This issue recaps the highlights of 50th anniversary events, including the Fort Worth Wild celebration and a plaque dedication at Broadview Park. Other high points include an overview of summer educational opportunities and a look at recent changes for the bison herd.
- Bluestem News 2014 Spring Issue: This issue includes news about our annual volunteer appreciation banquet, our 50th anniversary this year, educational articles and a personal recollection from a member who has participated in our Buffalo Boogie over the years.
- Bluestem News 2013 Winter Issue: This issue begins telling the history of the Nature Center, which started 50 years ago. Other articles include one on Miller-Coors corporate volunteers, a summary of our annual chili cook-off, info on our master naturalists and docents, and Trails and Treats.